Pros and cons of leather and suede
Advantages and disadvantages of leather and suede
The two most widespread materials which are used for making the shoes of the best world brands are leather and suede. Each of them has its fans and opponents, its positive and negative sides. Among fans of stylish shoes real battles grow warm about the benefits of a particular type of material. Someone says that suede is too difficult to care, while others are glad about its softness and lightness. Someone likes the matte smoothness of genuine leather, while someone does not like leather shoes because of excessive formality and rigidity. And the truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle...
Let's try to understand the main pros and cons of these two common materials and give a clear assessment of both leather and suede.
Advantages of genuine leather:
- heat transfer: leather shoes are suitable for any season;
- convenience: leather can be broken in and stretched and adjusted to the shape of the foot, so it is very convenient to use.
Disadvantages of genuine leather:
- high price;
- quite difficult to care;
- fakes: unprincipled manufacturers often pass off faux leather and other synthetic derivatives for genuine leather;
- poor breathability: this factor is quite rare and depends on the type of leather.
As you can see, one of the main negative features is the rather high price of natural material. This is it what affects the final cost of a pair of shoes. However, convenience, comfort and style more than outweigh this disadvantage.
Advantages of genuine suede:
- elegance: perhaps no one will argue that suede shoes look just great. No other material can compare with it in style and beauty;
- heat transfer: suede is indispensable for cold season, in combination with suede fur it makes the warmest winter boots and high boots;
- breathability: breathable properties of suede is a salvation for tired legs;
- softness and lightness: extremely pliant material that easily adapts to any shape of the foot.
Disadvantages of genuine suede:
- high price: the price of handmade suede is sometimes higher than that of such a similar smooth leather;
- poor resistance to dust and dirt;
- difficult to care.
Among the disadvantages of natural suede, the difficulty in caring for such material is the weightiest argument. However, the comfort and external beauty of this noble and elegant material will always win in the eternal dispute for and against.
Leather or suede: what to choose?
As you can see, there are enough advantages and disadvantages for each material. However, to prove the superiority of leather over suede or vice versa is possible only on their own experience. Therefore, it is necessary to compare the advantages of this or that kind personally, and complete your wardrobe with a couple of new shoes of smooth leather or loafers of soft suede so that you can personally make your own list of pros and cons.
It doesn’t matter if you choose leather or suede shoes, if you take care of it properly, it will serve for a long time and keep its original look.